Re: [OT] Re: UPS's

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Sat, 24 Jul 1999 20:49:11 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 24 Jul 1999, Paul Jakma wrote:

> Well, I agree, however I put more stock into companies that say
> "Yes, we support Linux" or "Here is the source code for a driver
> for our product, you can do whatever you need to do to get it to
> work in Linux", or "here is a manual, and we will not sue you",
> or "NDA? No, you don't have to sign an NDA, what do you think we
> are? APCC?" ;o)
>
>Indeed..
>
>In contrast to APC and Andre's struggle with them, if you go to
>Best's website you can download their UPS software. The Unix version
>is available as source.

Exactly.

>So let's see:
>
>APC: made it difficult for Andre to write his programme and release
>the source. (and it's not like Andre got loads of spec's and help
>from them AFAIK).

Actually, Andre wrote the software by reverse engineering the
protocol manually himself. APC did not help in any way, and as
such they had no ground to stand on that he was violating any IP.

>Best: wrote their own upsd, and have the source openly available on
>their website.
>
>which one do you trust/respect the most?

Precicely. ;o)

--
Mike A. Harris                   Linux advocate      GNU advocate
Computer Consultant                          Open Source advocate

Tea, Earl Grey, Hot...