Re: Win95 telnet and 'top' cmd

Thorsten Kranzkowski (th@Marvin.DL8BCU.ampr.org)
Sun, 25 Jul 1999 21:38:04 +0000

On Sun, Jul 25, 1999 at 03:32:23PM -0500, Sean McEwan wrote:
> > stty rows 24 columns 80
>
> That certainly does fix it! My questions about this:
> 1. What setting(s) am I changing?

These are parameters that the kernel keeps (among others) for every tty device.
The kernel itself doesn't use them, but user programs are expected to query
and use them.

> 2. Where are these settings stored?

Tty driver. The kernel knows these values (obviously) automatically for the
virtual terminals (vga/hgc etc). Xterms know themselves and tell the kernel.
Serial terminal lines usually are 'unknown' (i.e. set to 0) - you could
have attached anything from a power pocket calculator, a commodore C64 to
a 132x44 terminal to it. For connections via Telnet the client is supposed to
pass the relevant information to the telnet daemon .... what your WIN-client
obviously doesn't. Either it's tooo stupid to know its 80x24 (or 80x25)
geometry or it's The Microsoft Way(tm) of (not) doing things. People could
start using those tools to communicate to the non-MS-world ......
Maybe you can get a shareware replacement that behaves better.

> 3. Is it a good idea to change the default settings?

When they're not right - yes. You otherwise won't see 'top' processes :-))))

> The 'stty' cmd by itself doesn't seem to say anything about rows and
> colums. The man page doesn't either. I appreciate your help.

Mine does:

STTY(1) STTY(1)

NAME
stty - change and print terminal line settings

[.......]
rows N (np)
Tell the kernel that the terminal has N rows.

cols N columns N (np)
Tell the kernel that the terminal has N columns.

Do a 'stty -a' and look at the output.

Note:
These is another way to guess the terminal size - termcap and/or terminfo
files. BUT programs are not required to use that info. Also the TERM
variable may be wrong set/unset. And the xterm terminfo entry probably has
80x25 specified - imagine you just grabbed a corner with your mouse and
made the window a little bigger ..... So I think the kernel setting is the
'authorative' one.

> Sean McEwan

Hope that made things clearer :-)
Thorsten

--
| Thorsten Kranzkowski            Snail: Niemannsweg 30, 49201 Dissen, Germany |
| Mobile: ++49 161 7210230         Inet: dl8bcu@gmx.net                        |