Re: Linux box causing network meltdown! HELP!!!

Harvey J. Stein (hjstein@bfr.co.il)
26 Jul 1999 16:35:37 +0300

"Lennert Buytenhek" <buytenh@dsv.nl> writes:

<snip>

> Can you run tcpdump on that machine, verifying that the packets are
> really locally generated? Do you trust everyone on your ethernet? No
> script kiddies? (It's so easy to poison the 802.1d I wouldn't be
> surprised if there were at least 10 zillion n3th3kk3rz 'toolz' out there.)

I know they're locally generated because the network sniffer saw them
when the net consisted merely of my box, another linux box, and the
network sniffer, all on a hub.

<snip>

> Can you tell me what packets the ciscos spit out (only if it's not
> too much trouble) in response?

I recall the network guys telling me that they Ciscos were forwarding
the packet around. I'll see if I can find out for sure exactly what
the packets looked like.

In any case, the network guys are testing a software upgrade on the
Cisco switches which doesn't suffer from this problem.

--
Harvey J. Stein
Bloomberg LP