Re: (disk/cpu) kernel performance problem

Rik van Riel (riel@nl.linux.org)
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 21:54:58 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 26 Jul 1999, Gerald Aigner wrote:

> While optimizing the program I discovered that disk I/O
> performance in Linux could be improved substantially. In
> particular, there are two main problems:
>
> 1) The kernel copies data many times before it ends up in user
> space.

I'm very sorry, but you seem to be too late. This problem is
(at least partially) fixed in the newer 2.3 kernels...

> 2) Using mmap doesn't help because it serializes I/O within a single
> process (you can't read simultaneously from two disks).

A single process uses a single thread of control, and yes,
we do readahead over RAID0 sets...

If you want to do true async I/O, you can just use the
interface glibc gives you to do that.

Rik -- Open Source: you deserve to be in control of your data.