update, kflushd, bdflush, etc.

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 02:37:08 -0400 (EDT)

Dirk Moerenhout writes:

> Benno never answered my question if he had disabled update when doing the
> tests on 2.2.8+ kernels. I still fear that this could've been a problem in
> his setup. The new kflushd works differently then update which sync'd on a
> which wasn't all that intelligent. Certainly if you run a new kernel with
> kflushd and at the same time the good old update you are not doing it
> correct. So I'd really wanna see somebody test it while being sure the old
> update is not running.

What ever happened with this? Code went in, code was ripped out, code
went back in again? Is this only for 2.3.xx now?

Apparently we have to kill off a daemon now. This wouldn't even be a
problem if the system call would handle the killing. Hopefully I will
get some sort of message about obsolete system call usage.