Re: Microsecond resolution timers - final word

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 08:24:06 +0100 (GMT)

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, Robert Norris wrote:

> I'm in the middle of writing a driver for some obscure hardware I
> have. Problem is, it requires some very specific timing: in some
> places, it expects a response to a request within 20-40 microseconds.
> (Device is accessed via the parallel port.)

Is that 20-40 usecs response to an interrupt on the port? I'm finding
that the interrupt latency is around about that, at least by the time you
respond to the interrupt. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong though.

I have a 'virtual printer' up and running, but of course it's much slower
than a real printer. If I do 'tunelp /dev/lp0 -w 40' on the 'host',
I don't miss any interrupts. -w 30 and I start losing them.

Tim.
*/