Why no 8-CPU TPC benchmarks for Linux? (Was: Re: ENT Article Archive

Dan Kegel (dank@alumni.caltech.edu)
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 09:43:51 -0700

Earle wrote:
> http://www.entmag.com/displayarticle.asp?ID=72199111952AM
> Will Linux run on this new Intel architecture? In the Future?

"Profusion" is Intel's name for its chipset that lets
you build an 8 CPU SMP system.
Linux has been running for months on 8-way systems
based on a related chipset, although I don't know if they've
shipped. See e.g.
http://www.penguincomputing.com/press/Xeon_8-way_4-8-99_.html

> I have not seen any postings on TPC's page http://www.tpc.org for Linux.

Good point. That's something that Microsoft
gloats over. Somebody posted a TPC result for Linux a while ago,
but it was unofficial, and TPC made them take it down.

We need some Linux hardware vendor who's trying to
sell into the database market to pony up the cash
for an official TPC benchmark on an 8-way Linux box.
It won't be IBM or Compaq, since they have other
architectures to push. Maybe SGI?

- Dan

--
(The above is my opinion alone, and not that of my employer)