Re: P2 & P3 dual-CPU?

Joel Jaeggli (joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu)
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 17:04:16 -0700 (PDT)

Discontinued, but not gone, you should still be able to get one in the
retail channel...

insight.com still has 50 odd sitting around under part no IT991422

necx.com appears to have them in stock I'm sure the list goes on.

On Wed, 28 Jul 1999, Iain McClatchie wrote:

> I have an ASUS P2B-D motherboard with a single PII/450. I'd like to
> upgrade to two CPUs.
>
> Intel has very cleverly discontinued the PII/450, leaving me with the
> following options:
>
> 1) installing a PII/400. I assume that the 4x frequency multiple is
> hard-coded onto the processor cartridge somehow. Has anyone tried
> running two CPUs at two different speeds in the same box
> simultaneously?
>
> 2) installing a PIII/450. I doubt there is any electrical compatibility
> problem, but I wonder if there is some trick to getting Linux to
> treat the PIII as a PII (i.e. it would be really bad if the kernel
> tried to enable MMX on both CPUs). Has anyone tried running two
> different model CPUs in the same box simultaneously?
>
> 3) Throw out/sell the PII and install two PIIIs. This option seems
> somewhat unappetizing.
>
> I know there used to be problems running different revisions of the
> Pentium Pro together. Does anyone know what these problems were, and
> whether I would experience similar or worse difficulties with a PII/PIII
> mix?
>
> -Iain McClatchie
> iainmcc@ix.netcom.com
>
> -

Joel Jaeggli joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
Academic User Services consult@gladstone.uoregon.edu
PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E