RE: PATCH: /dev/nvram cleanups.

Jones D (djones2@glam.ac.uk)
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 10:29:42 +0100

> Jones D (ISaCS) wrote:
> >
> <snip>
> > A better way would be to have /proc/nvram address the full
> nvram space,
> > and have the interpretation in a userspace app.
> >
> You mean /dev/nvram, don't you?
>
> Marc

Yes, I slipped up there..

I think there's another reason for not decoding the upper
bytes though. Some BIOS's encode passwords there, which are
notoriously insecure. (Do a websearch for BIOS cracker)
If this interface were opened up to show the upper bytes,
the userspace app to decode them should only decode the
upper bytes if the user has the capabilities.

regards,

d.