Re: endiannes of the kernel

Thu, 29 Jul 1999 21:53:38 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 28 Jul 1999, James K Whiting wrote:

> I am porting Linux to a controller board using the Hitachi SH4 CPU. This
> CPU can operate in either big-endian mode or little-endian mode. Since I
> have control over the hardware and software, I can choose either one
> freely. Is there any advantage to choosing one over the other for the Linux
> kernel? Or should I choose based on other requirements?

If both endian modes are really equivalent for the hardware, then the
right choice may depend on the following:

- If you are a purist, you may just toss a coin to decide, since none
endian mode is superior to the other one.

- If you are rather pragmatic, you want to choose the endian mode of
the architecture that has the best Linux support, thus little endian.
(You must also think about all other tools needed for the O/S, and that
may have to deal with endianness).

Gérard.