Re: Kernel hacking ? - Can this be done?

Steve Dodd (dirk@loth.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 19:24:47 +0100

On Thu, Jul 29, 1999 at 01:17:19PM -0400, Stanislav Krasilovskiy wrote:

> I have another short question -- is there ANY way to open/read/write
> to a file from a kernel routine? Again, excuse my lack of knowledge
> on the subject. What I mean to ask is that I will have a
> buffer kmalloc'd in the kernel and I will want to read some data into
> it from a file from, say, inside a system call routine. Can this be done
> at all?

Someone (Alan? Stephen?) posted a selector trick a while back when we were
discussing implementing loopback device on files without get_block (formerly
known as bmap) support.

> sys_read calls the the filesystem's read function, which uses
> copy_to_user (since it assumes it is invoked from user space through
> a system call). There may be other problems, as well.

If someone was to change file->f_op->read so it took a read_actor_t (like
do_generic_file_read does), then you could supply your own read_actor which
copied the data somewhere else in kernel space. Even better, if the read_actor
function could get given the struct page *, it could increment the use count
on that page and you could hang on it to after the read completed, saving
you an unnecessary copy.

Also, sys_sendfile could work with files that didn't use the page cache
via generic_file_read.

Uh, did that make sense to anyone out there?

--
If you've been pounding nails with your forehead for years, it may feel
strange the first time somebody hands you a hammer. But that doesn't