Re: No Answers Yet !!!

Hormuzd KHOSRAVI (khosravi@eden.rutgers.edu)
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 16:45:41 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Frank,

on one of the interfaces of the router i wanted to have two IP addresses
for my experimental setup. thats why i used aliasing ....
on router :-
eth0 -> IP Address ->138.34.x.x.
eth0:0 -> IP Address -> 10.1.10.2 (this is the alias)

i also used tcpdump and saw that the router never sends out an arp request
for 10.1.10.1 and the packet is just dropped after it reaches the router.
it works fine when the arp cache of the router has the hwaddress of the
destination. (10.1.10.1) guess thats because of some optimizations in the
kernel routing code.

Regards,
Hormuzd.