Re: Kernel hacking ? - Can this be done?

Arjan van de Ven (arjan@fenrus.demon.nl)
Sat, 31 Jul 1999 10:49:13 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 30 Jul 1999, Steve Dodd wrote:
> > That is possible too, in fact, I am adding this to kHTTPd right now. For
> > non-performance critical tasks, this is WAY to much pain though, since this
> > will only work for most filesystems (the f_ops->read works for ALL sane
> > filesystems), and proper locking isn't easy either.
>
> If instead of the current f_ops->read, filesystems exported a function which
> could take something similar to a read_actor_t, you could use that. I think.
> I need to think about this a bit more..

Well, that would be somewhat double. It IS possible to get a pagecache
reference (for most filesystems anyway), it's just very sensitive to the
right locking.

Greetings,
Arjan van de Ven