Re: linux-kernel-digest V1 #4229

Robert Dinse (nanook@eskimo.com)
Sat, 31 Jul 1999 21:26:53 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 31 Jul 1999 owner-linux-kernel-digest@vger.rutgers.edu wrote:

> From: "Robert de Bath" <rd103978@home-box.demon.co.uk>
> Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 12:59:15 +0100 (BST)
> Subject: Re: 2.2.9+ extreme instability
>
> The 2.2.X kernels are in general stable, this definitly sounds like a
> hardware problem ... tell me has it been nice and sunny recently ?
>
> - --
> Rob. (Robert de Bath <http://poboxes.com/rdebath>)
> <rdebath @ poboxes.com> <http://www.cix.co.uk/~mayday>

Oh how I wish this were true!

Unfortunately, 2.2.x is NOT stable on Sparc multi-CPU platforms, at least
not on 32-bit hardware platforms.

I have 2.2.10 running on two SS-10's with quad Ross Hypersparc RTK-625
CPU's, one has 90mhz the other 100mhz CPU's, and I still have the spin_lock
problems on a frequent basis (average about once every other day). I had this
same problem on a Sun 4/670MP with dual Hypersparc. This problem has existing
in some of the 2.1.x kernels and every 2.2.x kernel since 2.2.0. It has gotten
better, 2.2.0 would lock with scrolling spin_lock messages sometimes before it
even made it all the way up into multi-user mode, whereas 2.2.10 on the average
takes a couple of days, but it is STILL bad.

One machine is a news server running INN 1.7.x, the other is a web server
running Apache 1.3.3p3.

2.0.35 was completely stable on both machines, except that 2.0.35 would
frequently hang during fsck's.

Why don't I go back to 2.0.35? Because 2.2.10 is a MASSIVE improvement in
performance, both machines were nearly maxed on CPU before, now they're
averaging around 10% CPU occupancy. News could hardly keep up before, now it's
mostly idle. In short the performance is a big win but this spin_lock evil bug
is really a major frustration.