Re: Boot code rewritten for GAS

Chris Noe (stiker@northlink.com)
Sun, 1 Aug 1999 01:41:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 31 Jul 1999, Horst von Brand wrote:

> Chris Noe <stiker@northlink.com> said:
> > Bummer that we just duplicated all that work; I've been sitting on a
> > patch that does the exact same thing since late 2.2. :)
> > (check the l-k archives or http://www.northlink.com/~stiker)
> >
> > Doesn't seem like anyone is too interested in applying it yet though; I've
> > brought it up here on l-k two or three times without much support.
>
> I'd suggest sending it to Alan Cox or some of the other luminaries. Get
> some people to check it out (you did check it with several bootloaders, any
> one left?)
>
> Good luck! I'd also like as86 et al to go. But there might be older
> binutils in use somewhere?

So far, the following have tested it without problems (thanks!):

Mr. James W. Laferriere <babydr@baby-dragons.com>
Thomas E. Dodd /CSDC <ted@cypress.com>

Although I'm not sure with which bootloaders...

It's been cc'ed many times to Martin Mares, Alan Cox and Linus as well
with no response -- which I took to mean 'early 2.3 has more important
things to fix before something cosmetic like this' :) That's why I haven't
really pressed for inclusion yet.

As far as binutils go, I believe we should change the changelog to state
the minimum at 2.9.1.0.20 which fixes another 16bit codegen bug. Although
lower versions will work, I personally wouldn't feel too comfy with them.
(XXX: Tonight as I took another good look at the patch I realized that
there is *still* one gas bug exposed by some code in video.S which I had
mis-reported as fixed. Will set straight asap -- and probably end up
wanting the next binutils release (with the bugfix) as the minimum :)

Wow, I was just looking back through my old email and realized I have been
tinkering with this patch since late 2.1 (not 2.2), but always in hope of
getting it into 2.3. Now that I hear 2.4 could be out by the winter, I
might just start begging for inclusion, lest it be deemed 2.5 material.

If anyone else would like to test this beast for me, please pick up the
latest diff (against 2.3.12) from http://www.northlink.com/~stiker.

Chris Noe
(stiker@northlink.com)