Re: 2.2.9+ extreme instability

Benjamin LaHaise (kernel@kvack.org)
Sun, 1 Aug 1999 15:06:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 1 Aug 1999, Matthew Vanecek wrote:

> To date, there has been no solution offered that I've seen. Might be
> because the crashes leave absolutely no way to gather information about
> why it crashed, nor do the logs ever say anything. We just walk in to
> find a locked up machine, or we sit watching incredulously helpless, as
> the machine spirals down to a dead state.

The solution to this sort of problem tends to appear once similar reports
show a common element. Have the -ac kernels been tried on this problem
setup? Several corruption bugs were spotted in the series and are fixed
in the 2.2.11 prepatches. If the problem still isn't fixed, comparing
kernel config options against two similar machines may be of immense
value -- options like quota being used can sometimes have a significant
impact on normal codes.

-ben