Re: Linux 2.2.11pre4

Oliver Xymoron (oxymoron@waste.org)
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 12:15:06 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 1 Aug 1999, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> I wouldn't know, because it's not documented in the man-page due to the
> silly FSF hatred towards man-pages and being easy to use.

Heh. The obvious solution has always seemed to me that man(1) should be
taught about info files.

> What does .PRECIOUS do? I assume it avoids removing the file, and if so,
> yes it sounds like it would fix the issue, but it is actually officially
> documented and supported?

Says the info page:

You can list the target pattern of an implicit rule (such as `%.o') as
a dependency of the special target `.PRECIOUS' to preserve intermediate
files made by implicit rules whose target patterns match that file's name;
see *Note Interrupts::.