Use of CVS to manage kernel source trees (was Re: patch idea)

Steve Dodd (dirk@loth.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 20:57:57 +0100

On Mon, Aug 02, 1999 at 02:04:53PM +0200, Nico Schmoigl wrote:

> I noticed that there are quite a lot of patches out there. I know - there
> is cvs and everything, but application of several patches on top of a

Hmmm. CVS seems to keep doing strange things to my kernel tree. Whether that's
my fault or not I don't know, but I'm dis-inclined to experiment as a simple
checkin after a patch really clobbers the disk. Rebuilding even a small tree
is pretty horrific. I'm looking seriously at doing something with this PRCS
tarball I've got sitting around.

I know Alan and Andrea use CVS (at least I think they both do), and I think
Dave Miller maintains the vger tree used for the sparc* ports; perhaps they
could be tempted to describe how they have it set up, how they apply patches
(I wrote a quick perl script to spot new / removed files), what branches they
use, etc. Such a description could go in the lkml FAQ, or in
linux/Documentation, or both.

--
"People get annoyed when you try to debug them."
                -- Larry Wall