Re: Your backup is unsafe!

Thomas Zimmerman (qubes@aa.net)
Mon, 02 Aug 1999 22:31:18 -0700

Robert de Bath wrote:

> The problem with mount options is they are just that, you have to remount
> the filesystem to change them, and it might not be very easy at that moment.
>
> The ioctls give you enough control so that a particular program can change
> it's own view, or have it changed through a LD_PRELOAD shared library.
>
> There is one more thing ... for consistancy it'd be reasonable for the ioctls
> to work on an MSDOS filesystem too, to access the hidden long names.

IMVHO as a "End User" I was under the impression that MSDOS filesystem
know nothing about long names. In following this thread, I have always
wondered why the VFAT file system didn't just only export the long names
when available. If I wanted to work with the 8+3 filenames then I would
mount the drive as a MSDOS filesystem. No need to muck with the long
names at all, just like DOS 6.22; if you mess with the files, you handle
the consequences (namely that you have lost all long names.)