Re: Saving device driver state during shutdown

Gerhard Mack (gmack@imag.net)
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 18:21:49 +0000 ( )

On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, David Woodhouse wrote:

> mharris@meteng.on.ca said:
> > If it is just saving your mixer settings that you are worried about,
> > this has nothing to do whatsoever with the kernel. Any setting that
> > can be read from ANY device on the system, which can also be equally
> > written to, can be saved to disk by some program or another, and
> > stored back upon bootup. The redhat default install does this for the
> > mixer allready, unless one has not installed the required sound
> > packages, or has disabled the boot time sound service.
>
> Not quite.
>
> On bootup, the system is fairly busy, and there can be a large delay between
> initialising the kernel driver, and reloading the mixer levels from user-space.
>
> Even with sound drivers as loadable modules, with a post-install script to fix
> the levels, this has been known to take a few seconds - long enough to wake the
> household at 3am when the module gets reloaded because something tries to make
> a sound, and the default state of the line input is 'bloody loud' :)
>
> While kerneld was still capable of storing persistent data for modules, I
> made the SB driver save and restore mixer settings on load/unload. When it
> first initialised the hardware, the previous mixer levels were restored - at
> no time did it jump to some arbitrarily-chosen 'default' levels.
>
> Since the death of kerneld, I haven't yet come up with a good solution for
> this - perhaps it should be possible to pass the required levels on the
> command line, or as an argument to the module?
>
> One thing with which I experimented was reading the current levels back from
> the hardware - on cards which support it, that's quite a nice solution.

FYI A friend's IPC notebook (before it died) had feedback problems on the
default mixer settings. We had to edit the driver to fix this; we simply
couldn't wait for a usersapce change since it would shreak as soon as the
driver loaded.

I know IPC notebooks are mis-designed pices of crap but a way to change
the settings on driver load would have been really nice.

Gerhard

> David Woodhouse David.Woodhouse@mvhi.com Office: (+44) 1223 810302
> Project Leader, Process Information Systems Mobile: (+44) 976 658355
> Axiom (Cambridge) Ltd., Swaffham Bulbeck, Cambridge, CB5 0NA, UK.
> finger dwmw2@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk for PGP key.
>

> -

gmack@imag.net

<>< As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.