Re: Saving device driver state during shutdown

Steve Dodd (dirk@loth.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 19:00:55 +0100

On Tue, Aug 03, 1999 at 04:27:41PM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:

> > Just make the driver initialize the device with 0 levels so that it
> > cannot make any noise until the proper mixer levels have been loaded
> > from userspace. Is this too simple?
>
> That's better than the current situation, but the ideal (IMO) is for the levels
> to remain exactly as they were before the driver was loaded.

For hardware which supports this, it's obviously the Right Thing. However, it
wouldn't surprise me to find that there are a number of broken devices out
there that don't let you read the mixer levels, only set them.

--
Fortune: You will be attacked next Wednesday at 3:15 p.m. by six samuri
sword wielding purple fish glued to Harley-Davidson motorcycles.