Re: More linker magic..

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 13:28:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, Andi Kleen wrote:

> > It's not that the old scheme didn't work. It worked fine. It just wasn't
> > very pretty. The new scheme should be able to remove the ugly parts, it's
> > not meant to completely supplant the old regular initialization sequence.
>
> What do you think about cleaning up the other ugly part (aimed at 2.6, the
> no driver changes mandate for 2.4 conflicts with it of course):

I've already fixed that in my tree.

> Modular and compiled in drivers use different initialisation mechanisms
> (which leads to subtle bugs all the time).

Not if done right. You CAN still do them differently, but I changed a few
drivers to not have a single #ifdef MODULE, and I hope it takes off.

The fact is, that modules and non-modules _are_ going to be subtly
different, but we can make the differences as small as possible.

I'll make a pre-4 so that you can comment on some of the modules (look at
"binfmt_elf.c" for example).

Linus