Re: Linux 2.2.x outgoing TCP connects hang after several hours of use

Jordan Mendelson (jordy@wserv.com)
Wed, 04 Aug 1999 15:33:43 -0400

Dan Hopper wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I've been noticing a TCP connect problem on a masquerading gateway
> box for a few months now, first running 2.2.7, and more recently
> 2.2.10 and 2.2.11pre2. They behavior is basically that outgoing TCP
> connections originating on the gateway box itself fail, but that
> incoming TCP connects succeed. Outgoing TCP connects that are
> masqueraded via this box succeed as well. The interfaces are eth0
> for the local private net and ppp0 for everything else.

I have a similar setup, but with two ethernet cards. I telnet from my internal
machine to my gateway box and then use it's telnet out to the Internet (no
quality SSL telnet client for windows). The gateway masqs my internal lan to a
single IP acquired via a DHCP server.

I have not noticed this problem, I have telnet sessions open for weeks on end
without any trouble.

However, I did for a long time use a setup identical to this and I can give you
some information based on some of the problems I had...

Are you sure it's not modem failure? Double-check to see what your modems
upload/download rate is after several hours, a large portion of modems will
retrain down their outgoing or incoming connection rates and have bugs in their
firmware which cause connection rates to spiral down. Try limiting your
connection rate to 1200/2400 baud less than what you normally connect at...

Also you might want to check your pppd which can cause these problems as well.
There were some problems with older versions of pppd flaking out.

Make the MTU/MRU on your ppp0 and eth0 lines equal and see if that makes a
difference (mtu 1500/mru 1500 in your pppd options file).

I've also heard some problems with asyncmaps on some modems, add "asyncmap
0x00000000" to your pppd options file and see what happens.

Jordan

--
Jordan Mendelson     : http://jordy.wserv.com
Web Services, Inc.   : http://www.wserv.com