Re: No NFS mount of CDROM

Steven N. Hirsch (shirsch@adelphia.net)
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 20:27:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, Soukup, Kevin wrote:

> How the heck, explicitly, do I export the CDROM so other machines can
> mount and read the darn thing?! I've exported and can read the root
> level and /raid from all Unix boxes on our network, but I can't read a
> thing out of /mnt/cdrom from ANY of the same Unix boxes. What the heck
> happened?

When you export / and /raid, the underlying physical file systems are
already mounted.

> I had been running Redhat 5.2 and was loving that I could cd from any
> Unix box in our network to /net/linuxbox/mnt/cdrom and have it work.
> If I recall correctly, any volume under the exported root volume was
> automatically accessible to any of the remote clients (within security
> limitations).
>
> I'm running Redhat 6 now and this is certainly not the case any
> longer.

Try explicitly exporting the cdrom ONLY after it is actually mounted on
the server. This is probably a confusing point since, as you note, the
older nfs server let you get away with mounting it after the export took
place.

Try this little script to accomplish things in the correct order (edit
accordingly).

#!/bin/sh

case $1 in
exp* ) flag=-a
;;
un* ) flag=-u
;;
* ) echo "Usage: nfscd exp<ort>|un<export>"
exit 1
;;
esac

if [ $flag = "-a" ]; then
mount -t isofs /dev/cdrom /misc/cd
fi

exportfs -v $flag \*.your.net:/misc/cd

if [ $flag = "-u" ]; then
umount /misc/cd
fi

Note that this is quite simplistic, and does zero error checking!

Good luck,

Steve