Re: 2.3 SMP overlapping writes and NFS

Thu, 5 Aug 1999 16:47:06 +0200

Trond Myklebust wrote:
> As long as we violate the synchronicity assumption strict adherence to
> the rule of atomicity of writes becomes a largely academic issue.

They're different things.

Regardless of committing to stable storage, write atomicity can be used
for database synchronisation between clients. Of course any sensible
client would synchronise on a single byte... I don't know if any real
applications depend on atomic writes.

> For NFSv3, things are of course different, since there the NFS_COMMIT
> instruction exists in order to trigger the flushing to disk.

And atomicity isn't specified for NFSv3 either.

-- Jamie