Re: 2.3 SMP overlapping writes and NFS

Trond Myklebust (trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no)
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 18:33:57 +0200 (CEST)

> Trond Myklebust wrote:
>> As long as we violate the synchronicity assumption strict
>> adherence to the rule of atomicity of writes becomes a largely
>> academic issue.

> They're different things.

If you cannot guarantee stability of writes, then surely atomicity
cannot be guaranteed either. What if the server crashes after sending
the NFS_OK, but before the data is committed?

> Regardless of committing to stable storage, write atomicity can
> be used for database synchronisation between clients. Of
> course any sensible client would synchronise on a single
> byte... I don't know if any real applications depend on atomic
> writes.

As long as the operation read+write is not atomic, can you really
implement such a scheme?
As Alan pointed out, link() and mkdir() are more useful for this sort
of thing.

>> For NFSv3, things are of course different, since there the
>> NFS_COMMIT instruction exists in order to trigger the flushing
>> to disk.

> And atomicity isn't specified for NFSv3 either.

Only if you specify stable writes (FILE_SYNC) in which case the NFSv2
rules are supposed to apply.

Cheers,
Trond