Re: what is net-pf-17?

Drago Goricanec (drago@king.otsd.ts.fujitsu.co.jp)
Fri, 06 Aug 1999 16:17:02 +0900

On Fri, 06 Aug 1999 01:10:59 -0400,
"Marty Leisner" <leisner@rochester.rr.com> writes:

> I have a 2.0.36 kernel (which works with 2.3.*) which is using dhcp...
>
> I'm getting a message
> modprobe can't find net-pf-17
> and dhcp fails...
>
> What is net-pf-17?

It's the packet protocol family (AF_PACKET/PF_PACKET). Check out all
the address/protocol family defintions in <socket.h>.

> Is there a table of what net-pf-xx means? (I know appletalk and ipx are 4 and
> 5).
> Can more meaningful messages be displayed (this is fundamentally a redhat 5.2
> system).

This is what modprobe is given by the kernel to locate the driver for
this protocol. Add this to your /etc/conf.modules:

alias net-pf-17 af_packet

And make sure you've configured CONFIG_PACKET as a module:

Drago