Re: Y2K compliant?

Jonathan Masters (mastersj@periscope-systems.freeserve.co.uk)
Fri, 06 Aug 1999 23:52:55 +0100

I *always* hate this kind of pointless question. This mailing list discusses the
*kernel* and, whilst I believe that the kernel is fine for many years to come
(2038 wasn't it or something, but you could always change the epoc), you are
asking if your *system* is compliant. This is the kind of problem that others
such as microsoft and IBM are facing. People assume that any Y2K problem is the
fault of the kernel developers because they designed the "system" - the fact is,
the kernel makes up a very small (but none the less very significant part) of
the operating environment (the "system") whilst issues regarding the suitability
of the *kernel* should be posted here, you should refer to each individual
*package* that you use on your system to see it it is overall millenium
compliant. Don't blame Linus for something which is somebody else's fault. To
test, why not simply change your clock to Dec 31 1999 23:00 run it as you
normally do for a few hours and see what happens.

-- According to the British Department of Transport, more than 15000 traffic
lights will fail on the 1st January 2000 - if that's all that happens I'll be
very impressed :)

Hongwei Li wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have a Pentium 200 PC, installed Slackware 3.3 Linux (kernel
> 2.0.33). Is this system Y2K compliant? Is there any utility to test
> it? If not compliant, how to "fix" it? Thanks for all help!
>
> Hongwei Li

Jonathan C. Masters                     (jonathan@oxlug.org)
                                        PGP: www.brookes.ac.uk/~95227860/KEY

"Upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it".

-- Matthew 16, 17-18