Re: hdd & sound

Jonathan Masters (mastersj@periscope-systems.freeserve.co.uk)
Sat, 07 Aug 1999 22:33:38 +0100

I disagree. I doubt it's hardware, more likely something is fucked up in the
kernel causing heavy disk usage to fuck with sound. BEAR IN MIND: this happens
whenever I write a CD/copy large volumes of data whilst playing wavs/raw/mp3, with
esd on OR OFF (so it aint esd) - and no heavy CPU usage (typically load is under
20% CPU usage).

periscope:
PII 400
128Mb RAM
FIRST BUILT IN MBOARD HD CONTROLLER:

MASTER:
hda: FUJITSU MPC3064AT, 6187MB w/256kB Cache, CHS=788/255/63, UDMA
1 x 6.4Gb IDE (32Bit IO/UDMA - 128 Mb SWAP/other crap)

SLAVE:
hdb: FUJITSU MPD3108AT, 10300MB w/512kB Cache, CHS=1313/255/63 (***********LOOK -
NO UDMA - BUT ITSUPPORTS THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
1 x 10.8Gb IDE (32Bit IO/THE DAMM THING SUPPORTS UDMA,
BUT LINUX HATES IT ON THIS DRIVE!!! - BRAND NEW DRIVE - 128 Mb
SWAP/other crap)

SECONDARY MBOARD CONTROLLER:

MASTER:
hdc: CRW9420, ATAPI CDROM drive
4x4x20x CD-ReWriter

SECONDARY:
hdd: ASUS CD-S340, ATAPI CDROM drive
34x CDROM

PCI Network Card (100BaseT)
ISA SB 64 AWE GOLD
ATI ALL IN WONDER PRO
FLOPPY/other crap/etc...

Will supply any further info if requested.