Re: info format (was Re: Linux 2.2.11pre4)

Robert G. Brown (rgb@phy.duke.edu)
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 12:35:47 -0400 (EDT)

On 9 Aug 1999, Andreas Schwab wrote:

> "Robert G. Brown" <rgb@phy.duke.edu> writes:
>
> |> To take the discussion one step further, one of my own personal pet
> |> peeves is out of date/incorrect/inconsistent/missing man pages. Lots of
> |> people (myself included) habitually rely on man pages as THE RTFM
> |> mechanism. It is infinitely annoying to read, e.g., the crypt() man
> |> page and to see no reference to the fact that crypt, via libc6/glibc and
> |> even some versions of libc5, now supports MD5 transparently or any
> |> instructions on how to make that happen. Sure, it is in info libc,
> |> three layers deep, as a crypt crossreference. info crypt, on the other
> |> hand, returns the (obviously now obsolete) man page.
>
> The latest libc docs have an entry for crypt. If the manual is installed
> properly then "info crypt" will get you here.

Then manifestly it is installed incorrectly, as "info crypt" (in my
near-virgin RH 6.0 system) just shows the (incorrect) man page. The
only way to the "real" info version of crypt that I've found is down
through links within "info libc", where crypt appears as a node. It
isn't installed as a man page, and "info crypt" finds the obsolete man
page instead of the libc node.

rgb

Robert G. Brown http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/
Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567 Fax: 919-660-2525 email:rgb@phy.duke.edu