Re: Kernels > 1M

H. Peter Anvin (hpa@transmeta.com)
Mon, 09 Aug 1999 14:44:58 -0700

Werner Almesberger wrote:

> So the main problems with not having access to the BIOS are
> 1) "second stage" kernel needs to be updated more frequently, i.e.
> whenever substantial hardware changes occur (unless it has
> already access to a suitable driver, of course)
> 2) extending the mechanism to boot an arbitrary other OS is
> probably not feasible
>
> 1) just makes an existing dependency a bit more explicit. 2) is a
> pity, but isn't any worse than what we have today.

Well, the thing is that if you don't have access to the BIOS anyhow,
then you're really down to the stuff you can do out of initrd anyhow
(except select the kernel itself, but I don't really know how useful
that capability is, except on architectures like ARM/Netwinder where
there is a flash ROM big enough to hold the initial booting kernel and
that's simply how it boots... now one may very well see that as big
enough an advantage to generalize these across all architectures.)

Either way, what I'm trying to accomplish with lbcon is different --
it's a tool for bootstrapping the initrd and select boot options
(including other operating systems); and non-driver (i.e. BIOS) access
to disks is pretty much a requirement for that, I'm afraid, since it's
going to manipulate the very disk drivers involved.

-hpa