Re: First WinModem for Linux

David Olofson (audiality@swipnet.se)
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 03:41:06 +0200

David Lang wrote:

> One comment for those of you taking the attitude that "Linux will never
> support software based modems". You are to late, it already does. look in
> the Ham section. There is support for hardware modems (TNC's) and sound
> card based modems. While I agree that in most cases software based modems
> are not a good idea I can see many places where a type 1 modem (as defined
> below) would be reasonable for a low-end "internet terminal" type of
> device.

Well... With RTLinux, they could even work reliably. And "Linux can
handle yet another situation where other OSes fail" sounds kind of good.
;-)

However, that doesn't mean I like the idea of "type 1 modems", except in
the very special case you want to use a few in a digital switchboard or
something like that. And what an ugly hack, demanding hard real time
capabilities for a low bandwidth communication device! Smells
"prototyping toolkit"...

But OTOH, if [LW]inModems can work reliably, and you don't need all CPU
power anyway, then yes, perhaps their existence can be justified, at
least in low cost, turn-key systems.

//David