RE: fbcon cruft removal (continued).

Petr Vandrovec Ing. VTEI (VANDROVE@vc.cvut.cz)
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 18:51:41 MET-1

On 10 Aug 99 at 17:08, Jones D (ISaCS) wrote:
> > Hi Jones,
> Please, call me Dave :-)
Hi Dave,
> > You can also change to videomode which has
> > more lines than old (for example from 80x25 -> 80x34
> > it will work without problems). And
> The BIOS is in 80x25 AFAIK, and I have in my LILO startup
> a line to switch to a different resolution. The onscreen cruft
> remains.
matroxfb without parameters start in 640x480 before 2.3.13 and in 640x400
after 2.3.13. For new default, 25 - 4 (logo) < 25 :-( For 640x480, it
should work. Which LILO switches are you using? vga=XXX does nothing good
to matroxfb; video=matrox:vesa:0x105 works fine for me.
> btw, another framebuffer problem I have found.
> (This may be specific to matroxfb)
> Boot up in a higher resolution than default,
> Login, and do a command that outputs quite a few lines of text
> (enough to make screen scroll) 'lspci -vvv' works for me.
> When this is done, press shift & PGUP, and some chars don't
> get updated and remain onscreen.
You have strange system... When you are pressing shift-PgUp, are there
penguins on the screen or are not?
> This may also be related to the fact that immediately after booting,
> pressing shift & PGDN scrolls a few lines. Wierd.
I prefer video=scrollback:0. I tested it here and that's what I get:
video=vga16:off video=matrox:vesa:0x105
shift-pgup: works correctly (hides logo, scrolls down)
shift-pgdn: repeated pressing this walks through circular in-kernel
scrollback buffer. It is bug.

video=vga16:off video=matrox:vesa:0x105 video=scrollback:0
shift-pgup: does nothing (no scrollback when logo). It is what it is supposed
to do.
shift-pgdn: does nothing. It is correct.

So I think that problem is in scrollback code. Unfortunately, I spent about
two days with scrollback code and results was worse than when I started :-(
Petr Vandrovec
vandrove@vc.cvut.cz