Re: hdd & sound

Jonathan Masters (mastersj@periscope-systems.freeserve.co.uk)
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 00:47:08 +0100

OK. I've got the newer 3.5 version of hdparm. hdparm attempts to put it into UDMA
mode, but it wont do it successfully - I'd give logs, but my machine becomes
unusable at that point. Now, major question I must know the right answer for:
The drive seems to want UDMA 4, but it isn't supported, and if I carry out the
suggestion for UDMA 66, will it a). damage any existing data - I *must* know
before damaging this device. b). Will it actually work (don't take it the wrong
way Roger, but I just want to be sure as that option is *explicitly* *not*
recommended).