Re: Your backup is unsafe!

Robert de Bath (rd103980@home-box.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 07:51:44 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, Alexander Viro wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Aug 1999, The Doctor What wrote:
>
> > How about immutable symlinks (I think that's the right word) that are
> > visible from linux for the short names? They could be manipulated by
> > anything in the "know" via ioctls or something, but not by usual tools
> > (rm, mv, etc.)
>
> DAMN! How about maillist archives? It *is* archived on DN and it was
> beaten to death *many* times, some of them in this thread. Sorry for
> flame, but it's really getting over the top.
It's such an obvious solution, unfortunatly it's a little less obvious
that it's crap :-)

BTW: Are you still making (going to make) the short names usable from
the UNIX level? I'm still against it and now have a reason; With the
arrival of devfs almost any filesystem will be able to serve as a root
filesystem as character and block devices are no longer needed.
(Eg: Novell NCP or Amiga FFS) With the short names 'available' I for one
would be very reluctant to try VFAT as a root filesystem. This would
(I think) leave just the MSDOS and VFAT r/w filesystems unable to do root ...

--
Rob.                          (Robert de Bath <http://poboxes.com/rdebath>)
                    <rdebath @ poboxes.com> <http://www.cix.co.uk/~mayday>