Re: info format (was Re: Linux 2.2.11pre4)

Dancer (dancer@zeor.simegen.com)
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 07:50:41 +1000

Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl wrote:

> Returning from Tibet I find in my mailbox some discussion
> on man pages and the documentation of libc6 (glibc).

I hope the trip was enjoyable.

> My point of view is the following:
> Ideally a Linux man page should discuss the behaviour of
> any library routine on all Unix platforms, with special
> attention to the Linux details. It should tell how much
> of the behaviour is prescribed by POSIX, X/Open, Susv2 etc.
> It should give the Linux kernel version that first implemented
> a system call. Should mention the kernel versions where the
> behaviour changed significantly. Should describe libc5 and
> glibc differences.
> [ More excellent commentary snipped ]

Well, I've long grumbled about it all in the silence of my soul. Just
looking at it, I'd be willing to do the odd page (I'm sure that while
each page might consume some time, if they were spread out enough I
could do a few).

The problem, of course, is: Where is the information to be had, exactly,
if neither info nor man have it? I'd cheerfully document the IPv6 API as
implemented in my currently installed libc, but of course there's
nowhere to start but guesswork..First I'd have to test to see if a
function exists (many appear to), then try to figure out how it differs
from the spec.

I guess it amounts to a lot of tedious wandering through the glibc
source...there's less time available for that. :/