Re: PPP and disk activity

John Covici (covici@ccs.covici.com)
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 14:54:16 -0400

I am using a 2.2.10 kernel and I get error in vj decompression when
there is disk activity on my Linux box. I have unmasked interrupts
and its better, but not too good -- anyway I can make the irq of the
modem get a priority or something like that?

on Fri, 13 Aug 1999 18:25:13 +0200 Jens Axboe <axboe@image.dk> in
<19990813182513.A602@image.dk> wrote:
>On Fri, Aug 13 1999, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
>> I have weird behaviour in my "router"-box (p120, 96mt ram, ide disks,
>> linux 2.0.37). The box is masquerade-router for a couple of workstations
>> (Linux too). So, The router-box has PPP-connection to my ISP and
>> everything works OK if I do not have disk activity on the router-box.
>>
>> For example, if I copy/move big files on the local disks of the router-box
>> the PPP-connection seems to freeze for that time.. While copying the files
>> on the router-box I get over 80% packet loss when pinging some
>> internet-server from the workstations (masquerade) at the time while the
>> router-box has disk-activity.
>>
>> As well, I'm not able to take ssh connections while the router-box has
>> disk-activity.. immediately after the disk-activity stops , ssh connection
>> is enabled. What's wrong?
>
>I'm guessing that you have IDE disks in the server. Try unmasking
>interrupts with hdparm (-u).
>
>--
>* Jens Axboe <axboe@image.dk>
>* Linux CD-ROM Maintainer