Re: Strange syslogd behavior under 2.2.10 and 2.2.11

Chuck Hemker (n2por@amsat.org)
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 00:12:07 -0400 (EDT)

Assuming:

1. You have checked your log files to make sure there wasn't a lot of data
logged into them when this happens.

2. Restarting syslogd doesn't mysteriously cause this not to happen the next
hour.

You could kill syslogd, and restart it in debug mode (-d option) on a spare
xterm or whatever. It then won't fork into the background and will display any
incoming packets and what it did with them. You could look at that and see if
something is logging alot of stuff that syslog as been told not to log to a
file. With that, you can either figure out what the problem is or figure out
what the facility and priority the stuff is getting logged at, and modify you
syslog.conf to log it. Then read the log the next hour and figure out what is
going on.