AW: [bigmem-patch] 4GB with Linux on IA32

Wichert, Gerhard (Gerhard.Wichert@pdb.siemens.de)
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 10:17:50 +0200

The only bigmem pages a driver will see are pages from the user process
dedicated for I/O. The driver will use the macros to get the physical
address to build the scatter/gather list for DMA. In this case the macros
will work correctly because of the wrap around in the 32 bit address space.
For private buffers the driver will get space in the low memory, therefore
the macros will work as usual.

> The only real problem currently seems to be raw-io to me... (hints?)
>
> Andrea

Gerhard.