Re: Threads in linux.

Stephen Frost (sfrost@ns.snowman.net)
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 13:53:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Carlos Costa Portela wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> This morning I went to a work-interview. Unfortunately, in that company
> they use WinNT. But, well, they had a good opinion about linux, blah,
> blah, blah...
>
> But the director says me that linux doesn't implement threads, is this
> true?. He said that threads in linux are implemented by a library, not at
> kernel-level.
>
> If you can give me more info, please let me know.

From my understanding, most of the threading work is implemented in
either glibc2 or linux-threads, w/ some kernel-level hooks (clone() I think?).
Now, from my experiance linux handles threads pretty nicely, and from
what I've seen according to POSIX semantics to boot. Linux, and unix, already
handles multiple processes at a time, so the idea is, what's a thread but
another process? (I know I'm going to get flamed for this by SOMEONE), so
that's the way Linux handles it. Two threads in a running program are just
simply two processes that share some info, similar to fork'ed processes, but
not quite. ;)
Anyhow, that's how I understand it, and I've yet to run into any
problems or drawbacks in the linux thread implementation compared to other
OS's (Solaris being one, NT another) that have threads at 'kernel-level'.

Stephen