RE: Disabling module loading with a module?

fvw (fvw@chello.nl)
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 17:09:54 +0200

On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Jones D (ISaCS) wrote:
> > On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Jones D (ISaCS) wrote:
> > > Sorry, I fail to see the connection between kernel modules and
> > > trusted networks.
> > Kernel modules can hide evidence of a crack, thus allowing crackers to
> > penetrate further into the network.
>
> Care to explain to me how ?
> Maybe I'm missing something here..

Modifying the kernel can make it very easy to hide what's going on. Without
kernel modifications ps could always be run from a write protected floppydisk,
and always show all processes. With a modified kernel, you could be made to see
only the bashes, logins, telnetds and ugly little vi's.

> > I must admit, the more I'm exposed to the cynisism of the
> > list, the more I
> > begin to wonder if it would all be worth it, except for maybe the odd
> > university etc. Congratulations :-)
>
> Don't let it get to you :-)
Nope, it wasn't the negative reaction as much as the arguments of it being more
bother than use. I try to let the arguments get to me, as it occassionaly keeps
me from hitting my head on brick walls.

--

Frank v Waveren fvw@chello.nl ICQ# 10074100