Re: New resources - pls, explain :-(

Thomas Davis (tadavis@lbl.gov)
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 10:54:25 -0700

David Hinds wrote:

> If anyone is interested, the latest PCMCIA beta (on csb.stanford.edu
> in /pub/pcmcia/NEW) has a PnP BIOS subsystem (which hopefully will not
> be in PCMCIA permanently) that gives you some tools for looking up and
> modifying PnP-BIOS-managed device configurations. I took some of the
> low level code written by Keith Owens, gave it a /proc/bus/pnp
> interface, and wrote lspnp/setpnp utilities modelled loosely on the
> corresponding PCI utilities. It's a little raw (you can mess up your
> system by reconfiguring live devices, etc), but it resolved some of my
> more thorny resource management troubles.

Yes, I've played with a version of this beta.

It's really cool, that I can finally get information about system board
PnP devices that are totally hidden from Linux, until you get them
enabled. (ie, the SMC IrCC is built into the SuperChip controller, and
isapnp never saw it..)

I really hope this gets into the Linux kernel, for it makes the IrDA FIR
devices easier to find and configure.