Re: file system corruption under 2.2.11

Bradley D. LaRonde (brad@ltc.com)
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 14:29:52 -0400

> same "attempt to access beyond end of device" occurs in 2.2.10-ac12 but
> not in 2.2.10 .

Maybe it's unrelated, but that same "attempt to access beyond end of device"
keeps me from even booting 2.3.10, 11, 12, or 13 kernels (haven't tried
earlier ones). I get the error as it is trying to execve("/sbin/init").

Also maybe unrelated, I found this at
http://www.kt.opensrc.org/kt19990701_25.html#9 :

9. Linux Moves On After Invasive Recoding
Subject: [patch] fix for the `access beyond end of device' bug of
2.3.[789]
Andrea Arcangeli posted a one-liner against 2.3.8, causing much
jubilation.
Ingo Molnar replied, "yess, this was it :) I have re-checked this place
hundred times yesterday but missed the bug ;)" and Linus said, "Whee..
That
was indeed a silly bug, and one that was hard as hell to find. Good
work,
Andrea!" He added, "I'll make a 2.3.9 with this (and some other cleanups
and
fixes), and then I can finally start accepting other patches again
(assuming
it seems to be stable)."

Did anything from 2.3.9+ get back-ported to 2.2.10-ac12?

Regards,
Brad