Re: Disabling module loading with a module?

Horst von Brand (vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl)
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 15:32:49 -0400

fvw <fvw@chello.nl> said:
> On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Jones D (ISaCS) wrote:
> > Sorry, I fail to see the connection between kernel modules and
> > trusted networks.

> Kernel modules can hide evidence of a crack, thus allowing crackers to
> penetrate further into the network.

So can a dozen other methods. If you got root, you've the run of the system
anyway. The _only_ way to go around that is to have a printer connected and
send all syslog there.

> I must admit, the more I'm exposed to the cynisism of the list, the more I
> begin to wonder if it would all be worth it, except for maybe the odd
> university etc. Congratulations :-)

I'ts not cynicism, it's just that this is a rather hard way to hide
evidence, vermin will use simpler methods. They aren't this easy to stop,
either.

--
Dr. Horst H. von Brand                       mailto:vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl