Re: Disabling module loading with a module?

fvw (fvw@chello.nl)
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 00:02:10 +0200

On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Steve Dodd wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 17, 1999 at 03:52:02PM +0200, fvw wrote:
>
> > > So you want to permanently disable module loading then, as
> > > any way *you* have to load modules could be abused by crackers?
>
> > No, because we're (or at least I'm) assuming reboot is impossible or attracts
> > attention. So only loading modules after bootup would be a problem.
>
> Or set the machine up to come back in single user mode after a reboot,
> which would definitely make it noticeable. You probably only want to do this
> if you have reliable back-up power though.

That wouldn't work, because the attacker would be able to modify the
initdefault. Unless of course / is mounted ro, and it's REAL ro (Either
hardware or with proc modifications suggested earlier).
--

Frank v Waveren
fvw@chello.nl