Re: Linux 2.2.12pre

Mike Jagdis (mike@roan.co.uk)
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 12:26:55 +0100 (GMT/BST)

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

> According to Alan Cox:
> > > _Vendors_ might have been but it's the users that matter. I don't
> > > follow linux-raid (or whatever it is), I haven't heard any shouting
> > > about new tools, I do have some md set ups. I *don't* expect to
> > > step a stable kernel and suddenly find I've been toasted!
> >
> > It happened with the isdn4linux stuff with 2.2.11
>
> Yes, but with current ISDN tools I can boot 2.0.37, 2.2.x and 2.3.x
> and up- and downgrade at will, it's all compatible.
>
> > it will probably have
> > to happen with the nfs tools for 2.2.13 to get knfsd a lot more solid
>
> Nobody uses the current knfsd in a production environment I think.
>
> However the difference is that once I convert a RAID partition
> for use with an 2.2.12 kernel, I cannot boot earlier kernels anymore,
> right? Or is that a misconception? That is _bad_ and worse it's
> all undocumented

Perhaps the answer is that the next 2.2.x should skip to 2.4 and
2.3 should skip to 2.5? It seems clear that moving up the 2.2.x
series does involve significant changes.

Mike

--
    A train stops at a train station, a bus stops at a bus station.
    On my desk I have a work station...