RE: Linux 2.2.12pre

Mike Jagdis (mike@roan.co.uk)
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 14:45:00 +0100 (GMT/BST)

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Paul Jakma wrote:

> > Perhaps the answer is that the next 2.2.x should skip to 2.4 and
> > 2.3 should skip to 2.5? It seems clear that moving up the 2.2.x
> > series does involve significant changes.
>
> biggest problem imo is the reluctance to patch 2.2 up. before you took it
> for granted that every now and then you'd have to update tools along with
> the kernel. 2.2 has reversed the trend, and we've got to the situation where
> the kernel stuff is way out of date compared to the maintainers patches. So
> when the update finally happens it ends up being a big one, and people get
> stung.

Which is exactly why it should not be happening as an incremental
of a stable kernel!

> I've currently got various nfs, apm and tulip patches to apply when i build
> a kernel. Thankfully with 2.2.12 i don't have to apply raid anymore. I also
> had alpha patches to apply before 2.2.11. (but i still had to back out one
> change...).
>
> I also use devfs (but let's please not get into that), and would really love
> to be able to use LVM on top of RAID, but that needs further patching.. :(.
> All in all i spend ~30min applying patches and merging rejects when i build
> a kernel. And most are so long standing that in a lot of cases i know the
> rejects off by heart.
>
> So why not be more adventurous with synching the kernel up. Those who want
> to be on the edge can update their tools as neccessary, those who want tool
> stability can track their distributions update instead. That'd be a lot
> better than the current mess of endless patches to patches to ...

What *would* be better is if people stopped pulling an ISDN, put
development back in the devlopment kernel and the stable kernel
went back to getting bug fixes. Right now the "stable" 2.2 seems
to be getting development ahead of 2.3. This is just silly.

Mike

--
    A train stops at a train station, a bus stops at a bus station.
    On my desk I have a work station...