Re: Anti-SPAM Suggestion...

Walter Reed (walt@hubinternet.com)
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 09:01:29 -0700

On Wed, Aug 18, 1999 at 11:32:25AM -0400, Chuck Mead wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Rik van Riel spewed into the bitstream:
> > On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, ben fleis wrote:
> >
> > > your description is slightly confusing to me. Do you mean
> > > (1) Either be on the list OR post with [lk], or
> > > (2) Be on the list AND post with [lk]?
> >
> > There's another possibility (in use with some of the mailing
> > lists I'm on).
> >
> > Subscribed users (or a selected subset thereof) can freely post
> > to the list and all other posts to the list are moderated.
> >
> > Since 90% of the traffic seems to come from regulars, it doesn't
> > put too much of a load on the moderators (volunteers??? preferably
> > in 4 or 5 different timezones) and it really keeps the list clean.
>
> I audit the list as I'm certainly not a kernel hacker... I just need to know
> what's going on... I'd have time to handle some of this and it certainly
> wouldn't take time away from hacking!

I like the idea of an automoderator bot - the first time and only
the first time you send a message to lk, it bounces the message and
requires that you send it a unique cookie in the subject line.

After that you are in the white list. Current subscribers are
auto-whitelisted.

No manual intervention required, and you don't have to be a subscriber
to LK to post.