Re: Anti-SPAM Suggestion...

Robert G. Brown (rgb@phy.duke.edu)
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 12:17:03 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Rik van Riel wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, ben fleis wrote:
>
> > your description is slightly confusing to me. Do you mean
> > (1) Either be on the list OR post with [lk], or
> > (2) Be on the list AND post with [lk]?
>
> There's another possibility (in use with some of the mailing
> lists I'm on).
>
> Subscribed users (or a selected subset thereof) can freely post
> to the list and all other posts to the list are moderated.
>
> Since 90% of the traffic seems to come from regulars, it doesn't

Even 99%. Over 90% of the postings appear to belong to threads.

> put too much of a load on the moderators (volunteers??? preferably
> in 4 or 5 different timezones) and it really keeps the list clean.

Excellent suggestion. I'll even volunteer to be a moderator. I think
that the latest round of nonsense makes it clear that SOME sort of
defensive measure will end up being necessary in the long run. It is
just too easy for one jerk to annoy thousands of people with one nasty
trick, and even without this sort of SPAM-bombing we've been getting
plenty of random SPAM, which will only increase. Moderating can't take
any longer than hitting "d" fifty extra times -- either a posting is
legit or it isn't.

rgb

Robert G. Brown http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/
Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567 Fax: 919-660-2525 email:rgb@phy.duke.edu