RESOLUTION: Problem getting LinkSys Combo PCMCIA EthernetCard to work on 2.2.x

Mirian Crzig Lennox (lennox@alcita.com)
18 Aug 1999 12:56:44 -0400

About a week ago I posted this:

> Subject pretty much says it all. I have a laptop (an AMS Tech
> TravelPro 2500) with a 10mb/s LinkSys Combo PCMCIA EthernetCard which
> I used with no trouble at all with all versions of Linux 2.0. As soon
> as I started with 2.2 (and pcmcia-3.0.9) the card just stopped
> working. The card comes up and appears to work fine (two high beeps
> and the eth0 device gets configured properly) but no packets get in or
> out.

After a bit of conversation with David Hinds, we found and worked
around the problem. It seems that the pcic in the AMS TravelPro
(O2Micro OZ6836) doesn't probe for irq's properly. The workaround is
to tell it to not do the probe.

In RedHat, this is done by putting
PCIC_OPTS="do_scan=0"
in /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia, and then explicitly excluding irq's you
don't want pcmcia to use in /etc/pcmcia/config.opts. Works like a
charm.

Posted to linux-kernel in the hopes that it might be useful to others.

--
Mirian Crzig Lennox                                Systems Anarchist
              Invest in America -- buy a Congressman!